Insurance law issues play an increasingly significant role in all areas of law on which our firm advises. For our lawyers, they are part of everyday practice. Aspects of insurance law are always dealt with together with other legal issues, in every matter, whether in construction, plant engineering or real estate law.
Our lawyers ensure the appropriate insurance cover for projects and companies through their forward-looking, and, where necessary, preventative advice. They draft insurance agreements taking all likely risks into account and assist clients in implementing the insurance requirements in their agreements with other parties. In doing so, they benefit from the many years of construction and project experience within the firm, which puts them in a position to evaluate risks appropriately and to put in place third-party liability and non-life insurance in the best possible way.
Even in the event of an insurance claim, we secure the rights of our clients. Larger insured events almost always lead to disagreements. We restore balance in any subsequent negotiation with the insurer and support our clients in the enforcement of their claims against third-party liability and non-life insurers – whether by means of an out-of-court agreement or before the courts.
We also advise on distribution rights and regulatory issues within insurance law. This includes the special requirements resulting from the increasing digitalisation of the insurance industry.
All lawyers in our practice group combine a pragmatic approach to advice with proven expertise in insurance law issues. This is reflected in the large number of insurance law publications released by our firm.
- Developing insurance law concepts for construction and plant engineering projects (some on the basis of CAR/EAR terms), e.g. advising on the tender for and procurement of insurance services and during the project development phase for an underground railway (U-Bahn) project in Berlin
- Hitachi Power Europe GmbH: advising and representing the client in the enforcement of insurance claims under erection insurance agreements for newly constructed power plants
- German Federal Institute for Research on Building, Urban Affairs and Spatial Development (Bundesamt für Bauwesen und Raumentwicklung - BBR): research project to quantify insurance cover where contracts are concluded with freelancers
- Offshore projects: provision of comprehensive advice on insurance claims in relation to the construction of various wind farms
- Defence against exclusions from professional liability insurance for architects, in particular clauses covering costs and deadlines, wilful breaches of obligations, run-off insurance, etc.
- Enforcement of coverage claims in commercial third-party liability insurance agreements, in particular on disputes regarding damage caused by non-performance of contractual obligations
- Settlement of claims under non-life insurance agreements, in particular for fire insurance, including business interruption insurance
- GetSafe GmbH: ongoing provision of insurance law advice on the digitalisation of sales operations and the development of innovative, modular insurance projects
von Rintelen, Preisfortschreibung Ade?, NJW 2019, 696 ff.
von Rintelen, Die Fälligkeit und Durchsetzung des abgetretenen Freistellungsanspruchs in der Haftpflichtversicherung, RuS 2010, 133 ff.
von Rintelen, Lücken im Haftpflichtversicherungsschutz, NZBau 2006, 401 ff.
von Rintelen, Die Tätigkeitsklausel: Wesentliche Einschränkungen des Haftpflichtversicherungsschutzes!, 2005, 109 ff.
von Rintelen, Anmerkung zu einer Entscheidung KG vom 7.08.2019 - 21 U 160/18, NJW 2020, 343
von Rintelen, Anmerkung zum Beschluss des OLG Koblenz vom 08.10.2015 (10 U 1221/14) - Zur Betriebshaftpflichtversicherung, Leistungsausschluss für planende Tätigkeiten eines Heizungsbauers, VersR 2016, 1111 ff.
von Rintelen, Versicherungsrechts-Handbuch (Beckmann/Matusche-Beckmann,
Versicherungsrechts-Handbuch, 4. Aufl. 2023, § 28 Versicherungsprozess, § 32 Betriebshaftpflichtversicherung, § 44 Bauleistungsversicherung)