Dr Frank Dittschar
- Intellectual property, unfair competition law and data protection
Dr Frank Dittschar specialises in advising companies regarding all aspects of intellectual property. In particular, he provides advice in the areas of designation rights and the law against unfair competition, e. g. with respect to branding strategies, the development/optimization of trademark portfolios, the enforcement and defence of designation rights (including domains), advertising activities and matters involving product imitations and product counterfeits. Further key areas of his practice comprise design law, licensing agreements, copyright law and sports law. He also advises clients comprehensively on data protection law. He represents his client’s interests out of court as well as in court proceedings (main proceedings and preliminary injunction proceedings).
Dr Dittschar supports nationally and internationally operating companies in protecting and enforcing their intellectual property rights, as well as in relation to product launches and distribution activities. He has particular experience in advising companies in the sectors automotive, consumer and luxury goods, sponsoring and energy supply.
Dr Dittschar speaks German and English.
- Multi-year comprehensive advice to a European car manufacture regarding the law of unfair competition with respect to advertising and marketing activities in Germany
- Multi-year advice to and representation of a US technology company and its German subsidiary with respect to the enforcement of designation rights in Europe (trademarks and company name rights)
- Advice to a listed clothing manufacturer in connection with the in-licensing of luxury trademarks
- Advice to and representation in court of a jewellery manufacturer with representative stores in numerous metropolises worldwide regarding action against product imitations
- Advice to and representation of an internationally operating US manufacturer of sport tapes with regard to the enforcement of trademark and domain rights in Europe
Further qualifications and memberships
- Lecturer in "Trademark Law" at the Niederrhein University of Applied Sciences, Design Department
- Member of the German Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (GRUR)
- Educational studies in sports law (Open University of Hagen), 2008
- Studied law at the University of Cologne, 1997 to 2002
- Legal clerkship (Referendariat) in Düsseldorf, 2003 to 2007
- PhD at the University of Cologne, 2007
- Lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) since 2005, from 2005 to 2008 at PPR & Partner in the areas of corporate law and intellectual property, from 2008 to 2015 at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP in the area of intellectual property (Dispute Resolution IP/IT), at Kapellmann since 2015