Dr David Mattern, LL.M.
- Construction contracts
- Law of architects and engineers
- Plant engineering law
- Procurement law
Dr Mattern advises on all legal aspects of construction projects. This comprises a contract design in order to reduce adverse effects during implementation, strategic assistance for the enforcement of and the defense against claims (claim management/anti-claim management) as well as the representation in court or arbitration proceedings. FIDIC based projects in the field of offshore wind energy and plant engineering represent a focus of his consultation work. Besides civil construction law, Dr Mattern advises on the law of architects and in particular on the German peculiarity of HOAI’s fixed price regime as well as on the architects’ liability. Moreover, Dr Mattern manages the procurement of construction works.
- Offshore wind farms: representation of different employers in arbitration and DAB proceedings (with English as court language)
- Offshore wind farms: legal advice of an EPCI contractor during the contracting and implementation phase
- Plant engineering: contract drafting and contract negotiations for an international operating company regarding the construction of several production plants located abroad
- Contract design: drafting of several contracts for the expansion and new building of a warehouse for a company trading with machinery and spare parts
- (Anti-)claim management: regular advice on enforcement/defence of claims for a North German construction company specialised in civil engineering, shell and turnkey construction.
- Court proceedings: e.g. enforcement (second instance) of the termination fee for the aborted sheet piling works of a pipeline project or enforcement of a damage claim for a theater resulting from deficient restructuring measures
- Law of architects: regular advice of a general planning contractor on enforcement/defense of claims in relation to the employer/technical planner
- Procurement law: legal advice and operational processing for the award of works and services e.g. for the revitalisation of an inner city square or for the construction of a fire station
Further qualifications and memberships
- Member of the Working Group on Construction Law within the German Lawyers’ Association (ARGE Baurecht im Deutschen Anwaltverein)
- Member of the Hamburg Lawyers’ Association (HAV)
- Regular in-house seminars and workshops on (anti-)claim management, law of architects as well as the new civil construction law
- Studied law at the University of Trier, 2002 to 2008
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) at the University of Stellenbosch (South Africa), 2008 to 2009
- Project Administrator at the European Legal Academy in Trier, 2009 to 2010
- PhD on international tax law at the University of Trier, 2012
- Legal clerkship at the Hanseatic Higher Regional Court Hamburg with secondments to Berlin and Hanoi, 2011 to 2013
- Lawyer with Kapellmann since 2013