Dr Axel Kallmayer
- Competition law
- State aid law
- Corporate compliance
Dr Kallmayer advises on German and EU competition law as well as merger control. A further key area of his practice is support in the development of compliance systems. Among his clients are German and international companies and associations from industry, commerce and the services sector.
Dr Kallmayer advises companies and public institutions on EU state aid law and represents them before the European Commission in notification and investigation proceedings.
What others say
Germany´s best lawyer for EU law – Handelsblatt 2020
One of the most prestigious lawyers for competition law in Germany – WirtschaftsWoche 2020
"very knowledgeable, good understanding of our industry", client; “pragmatic, fast, efficient”, competitor – JUVE Handbook 2019/20
One of the most frequently recommended lawyers for Competition/Antitrust Law as well as Corporate Governance/Compliance – Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers® "Germany's Best Lawyers 2019"
Among the 20 most frequently recommended lawyers for competition law – Kanzleimonitor 2016/2017 (law firm directory of the German federal association of in-house lawyers)
Further qualifications and memberships
- Lecturer at Heinrich-Heine University Düsseldorf for EU and German competition law
- Speaker at numerous seminars on competition and state aid law
- Member of the German Competition Law Association e.V. (Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht e.V.)
- Studied at the Universities of Saarland and Lausanne, 1991 to 1997
- Legal clerkship at the Higher Regional Court of Saarland, 1997 to 1999
- Research assistant at the European Institute of the University of the Saarland (Prof. Dr Torsten Stein), 1994 to 2000
- Research Fellow at Columbia Law School, New York, with scholarship from the Daimler-Benz Foundation, 2000 to 2001
- Lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer 2002 to 2004, at Kapellmann since 2004