Clients expect us not only to have the requisite knowledge in individual fields of law but also to be familiar with the special characteristics of particular sectors and topics of advice. In order to pool our expertise in this regard we have assembled, alongside our practice groups organised by fields of law, sector groups in which we pool our know-how on particular sectors and topics.
In our sector groups we gather know-how and organise specific further training of the lawyers involved. Contacts with associations and other institutions are also maintained via the sector groups.
„recommended law firm for the transport sector that can frequently use its role as market leading construction law firm in order to win instructions for numerous infrastructure projects" – JUVE Handbook 2016/17
„firmly established in plant engineering, airport or infrastructure projects"
– JUVE Awards 2013
Observing essential legal provisions (corporate compliance) is of crucial importance to companies today in order to avoid sanctions and consequences that could turn into a threat to their existence. We support companies and executives in avoiding such risks and managing crisis situations confidently. In addition to numerous medium-sized companies we advise groups of companies, of which several belong to the DAX 30.
High quality advice on compliance requires experience in numerous fields of law, whether in prevention or in defence situations. We are well-equipped in this respect, due to the broad professional composition of our firm. We have pooled our expertise in competition law, criminal law, employment law, corporate law and data protection law in the competence team for compliance. Longstanding experience of interdisciplinary team work and a high quality of staffing enable us to cope with even large scale corporate compliance issues at short notice. If the situation mandates it, we work together with cooperating firms abroad.
Ranked as one of the best law firms for compliance and D&O liability – WirtschaftsWoche "Top-Kanzleien" ranking of 12 May 2017
Leading law firm for compliance advice– Legal 500 Germany 2017
Recommended for Corporate Governance/Compliance – Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers® "Germany's Best Law Firms and Lawyers 2018"
- Long-standing advice to an industrial group (DAX 30) in competition and corruption law compliance
- Competition law investigations at several subsidiaries of an international technology company (including joint ventures)
- Drafting and implementation of corporate compliance programmes for more than 20 medium-sized companies in different sectors
- Conceptualising and implementing several e-learning programmes, often with a focus on foreign countries
We advise on wind park projects both offshore and onshore, on biogas- and geothermal plants as well as photovoltaic parks and hydroelectric power plants of every size. Our clients include investors, power supply companies, project developers and planning companies, municipalities, network operators, banks, plant manufacturers and construction companies.
In the renewable energy group, we pool our know-how on all legal issues relevant to the development, financing, construction and operation of renewable energy production facilities. Alongside our advisory work we also take part in interdisciplinary professional dialogue. In this regard we actively engage in the activities of the relevant institutions and participate in events, e.g. the German Wind Energy Association (BWE e.V.), the Wind Energy Agency (WAB e.V.), Wind Agentur Bremen, and Renewable Energy Hamburg (EEHH GmbH).
- RIFFGAT offshore wind park
- alpha ventus offshore wind park
- RWE Innogy GmbH
- EWE Offshore Service & Solutions GmbH
- Meerwind S/O für WindMW
- DEME Group and Power@Sea
- Global Tech I
- PlanET Biogastechnik GmbH
- Various onshore wind parks
- Assistance in the proceedings for approval of sales brochures for submission to the Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin)
Airports often have to deal with specific legal issues arising from their particular business model and the strict regulatory framework in which they must operate. Our clients include the majority of the international German commercial airports, and we have worked with some of them for several years. This has given us a profound understanding of the operational and economic processes of an airport and the relevant regulations that must be adhered to.
The broad range of professional expertise in our practice enables us to support airports on virtually all legal issues. This includes construction law, property and procurement law as well as EU state aid rules, competition law and public law. Our expertise in corporate and employment law complete the advisory services that we offer.
- Construction and Property Law: Structuring and packaging of projects in compliance with the Sector Ordinance, structured financing (leasing und contracting), construction site safety and construction employment law, project manager and planner agreements and agreements with operating companies, contract management and anti-claim management, leasing and rental agreements, out-of-court conflict resolution and partnering
- Procurement Law: Preparation and implementation of procurements and concessions above and below the EU thresholds, awards under the German regulations on ground handling services at airports (BADV), representation in review proceedings
- EU State Aid Law: Representation in the main examination proceedings and notification proceedings, advising on state aid, Airport Guidelines 2014, representation before the European community courts (ECJ and Court of First Instance)
- Competition Law: Advising on the drafting of agreements and partnerships to ensure that they conform with competition law, advising on the avoidance of allegations of improper conduct where a client holds a market dominating position
- Public Law: Advice and process management in proceedings under the German regulations on ground handling services at airports (BADV), advice and process management in proceedings relating to charging systems, advising on environmental law, in particular soil protection law, advising on air traffic regulation issues, advice and representation in planning approval procedures
- Compliance: Drafting of airport-specific e-compliance systems, including training and e-learning
Frankfurt am Main Airport: Comprehensive construction law support in relation to the new building of a terminal as well as advising on the provision and operational management of a passenger transport system (PTS) on the client side
Leading Airline: Advising on the implementation of an infrastructure project during normal operation including the renewal of the logistics system
Munich Airport: Comprehensive procurement and construction law advice in relation to the optimisation and extension of an existing terminal building as well as the extension of the suburban railway tunnel as a result of the “Erding Circular” (“Erdinger Ringschluss”)
Several German commercial airports: Representation in state aid proceedings before the European Commission as well as drafting of documentation in conformity with EU law
State aid providers: Represenation before the European Courts in connection with state aid for airports
Major German airport: Provision of state aid advice on infrastructure projects
Düsseldorf Airport: Development of a comprehensive airport-specific e-compliance system
Several German commercial airports: Advising on and representation in tenders for services in accordance with the German regulations on ground handling services at airports (BADV), drafting of agreements
Several German commercial airports: Advising on the construction and design of tank storage facilities and other infrastructure facilities
Dr. Kerstin Müller (Construction, Property and Procurement Law)
Prof. Dr. Robin van der Hout (Competition, State Aid and EU Law)
The health sector presents a multitude of special requirements to all concerned. In the planning and construction of healthcare facilities, special requirements must be observed for fire prevention and for compliance with hygiene standards. Principals assigning building projects in the health sector are generally subject to public procurement law. Strict compliance with procurement law is also a prerequisite for qualifying for funding under federal state hospital laws. Specific particularities of state aid law must be observed in the operation of facilities in the health sector.
In the health sector we advise public principals, construction companies and architecture and engineering firms in complex construction projects and procurement proceedings and represent them before courts and federal public procurement tribunals. We advise operators of healthcare facilities in the increasingly important area of state aid law. Furthermore, we are active in the management of mergers in and acquisitions the health sector.
- Restructuring of St. Elisabeth Hospital, Ravensburg (Value > €200 m.), advising principal on all construction and procurement law issues
- Klinikum Ansbach, advising principal on all construction and procurement law issues
- Landkreis Ravensburg on the planned takeover of Krankenhaus 14 Nothelfer GmbH from the city of Weingarten
- Procurement review proceedings relating to the procurement of the object planning contract for the new build of the portal clinic at the University of Munich
- Constant advice on competition law to several international pharmaceutical companies
- Klinikum Darmstadt: advice on project for central new build
- Evangelisches Krankenhaus Holzminden: advice on project for restructuring and new build
- Health insurance fund: constant representation in a series of procurement proceedings
- University clinic: advice on procurement and contract law regarding neurology PP new build and central sterilisation new build
Various forms of cooperation between the public and private sectors for the realisation of infrastructure projects in structural and civil engineering or in the areas of water, waste water, waste disposal and energy supply as well as in IT are released under the heading of privately financed infrastructure (PFI). They can provide an alternative to traditional forms of covering demand.
We have PFI expertise in all of our offices, coordinated by our PFI competence team. We provide comprehensive advice on the structuring and realisation of PFI projects. To the extent necessary for the usually required profitability comparison, we have recourse to economic and technical experts with whom we cooperate regularly. We focus on creating a project structure that is as clear as possible as well as on a transparent and true competition on a level playing field amongst as many bidders as possible. This is frequently the basic prerequisite for efficiently covering demand.
Renowned law firm for PFI – JUVE Handbook 2014/2015
"The procurement law and PFI team of Dr. Hans-Peter Kulartz from Düsseldorf […] belongs to the top level of sector pioneers." – Kanzleien in Deutschland 2013
Recommended law firm in the area of public private partnerships – Legal 500 Germany 2014
- Structuring and implementation the7 PFI projects for the new build of three vocational training centres in federal state capital Kiel
- Planning, construction and maintenance of training centre RomaNEum in Neuss (owner/ forfeiting model)
- Planning, construction and operation of a student hall of residence on the Riedberg campus, Frankfurt a.M. (concession model)
In this group we pool the special competences obtained in our practice regarding all legal issues relevant to this area, from procurement to project completion. We advise on tunnel and infrastructure projects of every size and represent clients in usually extensive and complex proceedings before courts and arbitral tribunals.
Alongside our advisory work we also take part in interdisciplinary and international professional dialogue. In this regard we actively engage in the activities of the relevant institutions and participate in events, e.g. the German Research Association for Underground Transportation (STUVA) and the Stuttgart Tunnel Construction Law Seminar (Stuttgarter Tunnel-Baurechtsseminar).
- ATCOST21, Stuttgart 21, lot 1A (Filder tunnel) and lot 1B (Ober- and Untertürkheim tunnel), advising the contracted consortium (ARGE)
- Feuerbach Tunnel , Stuttgart 21, lot 2, advising the contracted consortium
- City Tunnel Leipzig, lot B, advising the contracted consortium
- Stadtbahntunnel Karlsruhe, advising the contracted consortium
- Jagdbergtunnel, motorway tunnel near Jena, advising and representing the contracted consortium
- Neuer-Kaiser-Wilhelm-Tunnel, railway tunnel at Cochem, advising and representing the contracted consortium